If you’re ever asked about the “big three” anime series, don’t forget that Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is an absolute must-watch classic. Its captivating storytelling, well-developed characters, and stunning animation make it a masterpiece that’s truly worth your time.
The story pivots around two brothers who are searching for a philosopher’s stone to restore their bodies after they had committed the taboo of trying to revive their mother which goes as bad as one might expect on trying to revive a dead person. The story is set in a fictional universe where alchemy is a widely practised science. The form of matter an alchemist can manipulate differentiates according to the character, for example, some can manipulate fire particles whilst others can do ice.
Throughout their journey, the Elric brothers encounter various other alchemists, experience the brutal realities of war and government corruption, and uncover the existence of sinister forces working behind the scenes. Their adventures lead them to uncover dark truths about the Philosopher’s Stone and its creation, as well as the deep secrets of their world’s history and the nature of alchemy itself.
The reason why this is called a legendary anime lies in the wide societal issues it touches upon and the fleshed-out cast that is so diverse that you will not know who to root for. There doesn’t seem to be a wrong cause, everyone’s fighting their own battle, and the two brothers? The strongest bond of all. From thriller to pure comedy this series will have you on an emotional rollercoaster of laughing, crying and at times just staring into space as you’ve now realized the deep themes it pivots around.
Am I exaggerating? Hardly.
Does it sound way too complicated?
Trust me, it’s not. It’s simple. The story is about two brothers, trying to hold each other through numerous hardships. Underneath all these complicated themes; FMAB is a story about the bond between family members and the trust between friends. It’s humans being humans and trying to understand the cornerstone of our existence.
And How am I going to convince you to watch it? Here’s a list.
- Lots of laughter and pure comedic relief, this anime would make you cry; laughing.
- Lots of tears too, and you will want to have some tissues for the last episodes.
- Seven Deadly Sins as characters (Spoiler alert: They stay true to their personalities) Lust who knows she’s pretty and flaunts it very well, Greed who is a fan favourite and will grip you from his first appearance. Envy who’s sassy and wouldn’t hesitate to humble you, Pride who’s pretty much an arrogant jerk, Gluttony who’s a baby and everyone empathize with him, and of course Sloth who’s pretty easily forgettable. And Wrath who has an insane history and character development you’ll forget he’s supposed to be a villain.
- Badass women. This should be enough reason, truly.
- Character development! A lot of it.
- Roy Mustang. Just. Roy. Mustang.
- Don’t get me started with the MUSIC. The music score is a whole different story and you will be ADDICTED. (The opening Music score called Rain hits differently)
- Elric brothers
- And a plot that flows smoothly like a river
- Trigger warning: There’s a lot of blood.
Pretty simple, right? It’s 60+ episodes but do not let that discourage you. Fullmetal Alchemist is revered by many, and no one is exaggerating it, because the anime has earned its popularity through its sheer thematic depth, music and the lovable characters who will remain in your memory forever.
“Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. This is alchemy’s first law of equivalent exchange”
— Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood —
Have fun watching!
-Rtr. Barani Imasha
Share this content: